Posted by Jamie Forestell
We were invited to a media event earlier this evening and what you see above is the first 3G/WiFi Android Tablet (Honeycomb) in Canada. The LG Optimus Pad features an 8.9 inch screen with a 1280 x 768 WXGA resolution.
The tablet is powered by an NVIDIA Tegra 2 Dual Core 1 Ghz processor, has front and rear facing cameras, comes with 32GB of onboard storage, and..wait for it.. a 3D camera with full HD 1080p decoding.
Last month LG released the Cinema 3DTV series, so if you want to watch those moments in 3D, you will have a nice output to your tv via the micro hdmi port on the tablet.
- The 8.9″ form factor really seems to fit nicely and allows for easier typing with your thumbs while in portrait mode compared to other smaller and even larger tablet(s).
- Camera quality was decent for a tablet and the 3D HD recording capability will add for some occasional fun shooting.
- Honeycomb seems to work well and LG has utilized STOCK HONEYCOMB, with the minor exception of a few Rogers standard applications.
- The Pad ships with both a micro hdmi cable and a mini to usb adapter. If you wanted to plug in your usb keyboard for typing, you can do so as well.
- The volume was very low while listening to certain music files and it seemed to be low in general. Not sure how loud you really want your tablet to be but if you do not plan on using headphones you may wish to test this out first.
- Obviously at 8.9″ and 32GB, weight does come into play. The Optimus is 621G in weight compared to the iPad 2 at 600g.
The Optimus Pad will be available in Canada via Rogers on May 17, 2011. Pricing starts at $449.99 on a 3 year contract and as a standalone purchase at $699.99.
Now the LG 2X Smartphone..
The Optimus 2X ships with Android 2.2.2 and also features an NVIDIA Tegra 2 Dual Core 1Ghz processor, 4″ WVGA LCD full touch screen, comes equipped with an 8MP rear facing camera, and a 1.3MB front facing camera. A micro HDMI port is also included and sits at the top of the device.
If you are interested in the audio quality and volume, this phone sounds great. LG has packed a 7.1 channel virtual surround sound system into this tiny little phone.
The Optimus 2X does not yet have a home in Canada as no providers have announced plans to carry this model, but you can bet it will be coming soon. I heard there was even a WIND model kicking around so stay tuned for more information on this great phone.
Also if you have been hearing of all the complaints for the Optimus 2X freezing and random reboots, you will be glad to know that this has been resolved and when the phone is available in Canada, the update should have already been applied.
Pingback: Tek Tok Canada
Pingback: Jamie F
Pingback: LG responds to Optimus 2X ‘black screen of death’ claims – TechRadar UK | ALL ABOUT THE GADGET
Pingback: Tek Tok Canada
Pingback: Nicholas Carter
Pingback: Acer, HTC, LG and Samsung Android Honeycomb tablets may be coming to Rogers Canada | Tablets Planet